When you open a certain document in Word for Mac 2011, you get the following error:
“Word cannot start the spelling checker. The spelling checker files may be missing. Make sure the spelling checker files are installed or use the Microsoft Office Installer to install the spelling checker.”
The document may have been originally created from another version of Word and contain incompatible formatting.
If you cannot quit Word:
- Press cmd + alt + Esc to show the Force Quit window.
- In the list, click Microsoft Word.
- Click the Force Quit button.
Update Microsoft Office 2011:
- Open Word.
- On the top menu, click Help, then Check for Updates.
- Click the Check for Updates button.
- Install all available updates until there are no more.
If that doesn’t work:
- Open a blank document in Word.
- On the top menu, click Word, then Preferences.
- On the first row, click Spelling and Grammar.
- Under the Spelling heading, uncheck “Check spelling as you type”.
- Under the Grammar heading, uncheck “Check grammar as you type”.
- Click OK.
- Open the document that you were previously having trouble with.
- Press cmd + A to select all text in the document.
- On the top menu, click Tools, then click Language.
- Select your preferred language in the list and click OK.
- Save the document.
- If you wish, you can revert the settings that you changed in steps 4 and 5.