A few Apple mac’s have been booting to a black screen with the mouse curser and nothing else after updating to Mavericks(10.9.2),.
It seems to be a problem with a Security update, which isn’t completing the installation procedure and causing the system to hang.
You will need to force the update to complete and then it’ll boot to OS X fine. Make sure the machine is off, and then follow these steps.
- Press the power on button, and then straight away hold down the Left Shift key. (the machine will boot to the black screen and the mouse curser again)
- Even though you can’t see anything except the curser, type the first letter of the Username for the computer, then press the Tab key once, and then type in the full password for the machine. Press Enter.
- After a moment, the loading wheel(spinning beach ball) will appear and then a Mavericks window with the X logo and a loading bar. Let this process complete, and then the machine will boot to the desktop.
- Confirm the Machintosh HD is the startup disk.
- Click System Preferences.
- Click Startup Disk (found under the System heading).
- Click on Macintosh HD.
- Close System Preferences and then restart the machine.
- Once it has rebooted to the users desktop, shut down the machine and then reset the PRAM.
Check for updates, and proceed as normal.