With the advent of the 2004 Windows update Microsoft have been focused on making thins easier for end users whilst also trying to make sure that security of computers is still as high as possible.
To make things easier they have gone for the option to make windows passwordless where possible. This includes using methods such as Bio metrics (Facial Recognition, fingerprint (both reliant on hardware attached or built into the device) and pin.
To find out more follow the below instruction.
- Click “start” (Windows Button)
- Click “Settings” (The gear icon)
- Click “Accounts”
- On the left click “Sign in Options”
Options you will find here include:
- “Windows Hello Face” which is facial recognition.
- “Windows Hello Fingerprint” which is fingerprint recognition.
- “Windows Hello Pin” this is a pin that is linked to your password and you create.
- “Security Key” This one is a hardware key that stores your user credentials. this can be highly secure and some company also use this to create a secure connection to a VPN (Virtual Private Network)
- “Password” The good old and traditional windows password we are all familiar with.
- Finally you can use “Picture password” and this can be your favourite image as your password.
Issue: Keyboard not typing after updating drivers through manufacturer support application.
Cause: The likely cause is that the manufacturer has included an update that updates the keyboard driver. when you look in the Device manger it shows a keyboard with an exclamation mark and the name of the manufacturer.
1. Right click the device in Device manager
2. Click “Uninstall Device”
3. Check the box that states “Delete Device Driver Software”
4. Right click any device and click “Scan for new hardware”
The device will add as a default “PS2 Keyboard”. This is the generic windows driver for a 102 key keyboard. This is also how windows controls the device correctly. Some manufacturers will submit a new device driver to Microsoft who will then incorporate this into the default driver.
Windows may reject some keyboard drivers and controllers so using the PS2 driver is usually the best way to go.
The Device you have has no DVD drive but you have a CD / DVD for your Software.
A lot of developers are moving to a digital download over a physical media as we progress into an ever increasing digital age. A fair few manufacturers may produce systems without a DVD or CD drive.
Put the disk into a device that has a CD / DVD drive and copy the files to a memory stick.
Visit the Developer website and check their Downloads section. This can often be found on their support area.
When typing, your keyboard may be inputting the wrong characters.
This is likely to be related to the keyboard layout being on a default option as opposed to a region setting.
- Click “Start”
- Click “Settings”
- Click “Devices”
- Click “Typing”
- Under the heading “More keyboard settings” click “Advanced Keyboard Settings”
- Under the heading “Override for default input method” if “use Language list” is present.
- Click and change to the desired input region i.e: English (United Kingdom) – United kingdom
You would like to have certain programs starting with your system.
- Press windows key + R
- In the “Run” box type “Shell:startup” (without quotations)
- Copy the application icon into the folder.