This fix can help troubleshoot problems with loading Dragon Naturally Speaking related to a corrupt profile.
[tab title="Automatic method"]
Open Dragon and follow these steps:
- Click on “Profile”.
- Then click on ”Manage User Profiles”
- Highlight corrupted profile, then click on “Advanced”.
- Scroll down and click “Restore”.
Dragon will auto rename profile name as “YourProfileName– Restored”.
Information provided by Tony Scalese
[tab title="Manual method"]
- Make sure that Dragon Naturally Speaking is closed first.
- Press the Windows Key + R to bring up the Run box.
- type: %AllUsersProfile% and press Enter.
- Windows XP Users:
Go to Application Data -> Nuance, then open the NaturallySpeaking folder and go to the Users folder.
Windows Vista or above:
Go to the Nuance folder, then open the NaturallySpeaking folder and go to the Users folder.
- Now, go into the folder which is your Dragon username.
- Rename the ‘current’ folder to ‘corrupt’.
- Rename the ‘backup’ folder to ‘current’.
- Open up Dragon and wait for it to load.
- On the Dragon Bar click NaturallySpeaking -> Manage Users.
- Click on your name and then click Advanced -> Backup to create a new backup and wait for it to finish.
- You may now delete the ‘corrupt’ folder.
[info]Any references to folders called Nuance, may be called ScanSoft if using an older version[/info]
[warning]This method may not work due to the fact that Dragon automatically creates profile backup’s which may well contain the profile corruption. If this method does not work please refer to http://www.fixkb.com/2011/12/the-speech-engine-returned-the-following-error-164-when-opening-dragon.html [/warning]