When using your Mac, you are told by a program called MacProtector that you have viruses and that you must pay for the product in order to remove them. This is actually a fake antivirus that lies about your system security in order to get your money and is actually a variant of the MAC Defender trojan.
To remove the MacProtector malware, you can download our Removal Tool or follow these instructions:
- Click the Spotlight magnifying glass icon (top right of the screen) or press cmd + Space.
- Type in Activity Monitor and press Enter.
- Make sure the dropdown (near the top right of the window) is set to All Processes.
- In the list, click on MacProtector.
- Click the Quit Process button.
- Click Force Quit.
- Go to your Applications folder.
- Delete the MacProtector file and empty the trash.
- Click the Apple icon in the top left of the screen, then click System Preferences.
- Click Accounts.
- Click on your username on the left.
- Click the Login Items tab.
- If MacProtector is there click on it, then click the minus (-) button.
It is recommended that you Disable Automatic File Opening in Safari to prevent this happening again.